When I say my experience is limited I mean that my
training experiences have mostly been of an informal nature and are
usually one-on-one situations. I have worked in a public library for several
years and helping clients with both computer and information literacy is part
of the job and one that I enjoy. The challenge is that you can be asked
anything on any subject at any time! There is no set curriculum or lesson. The desired outcome is that the client
obtains whatever particular knowledge or information they need but hopefully
during the exchange we have imparted some skills that will enable them to apply
this knowledge to other situations - a value added-on. Our clients’ ages, backgrounds and learning
levels are across a wide range which presents its own set of challenges.
Recently I was one of a number selected to run one-on-one
sessions in teaching clients to access the library's e-resources. As the library's clients have a wide range of technological devices, it
was a case of train the trainer first. Due to the wide variety of technology available today many libraries (and I assume other places as well) have what they
call a ‘technology pet zoo’ whereas the library purchases devices enabling
staff to keep up with the latest without having to personally buy the
gadgets. I was able to familiarise myself with different devices including IPAD,
Kindle, and Sony E-reader before the lessons. In teaching these lessons we
first determine the client’s requirements, what software they have installed, then we give hands on training (they usually
bring their own devices). Through demonstration and interaction with the
client we impart the necessary knowledge to successfully use their devices to access
the e-resources. Hopefully they will also be able to apply this
knowledge to other situations. I consider the ability to inspire confidence a sought after trait, and believe that trainers need to be constantly evaluating their own work looking for opportunities to improve.
In my primary school years we learnt what the
teacher taught us mostly by by absorbing and remembering, but at one stage we were given books
that allowed us to learn at our own pace. I believe this whetted my appetite
for distance and online education. At TAFE and University level learning becomes
more independent and some outcomes apart from subject knowledge for me personally
include being organised, time management skills,
teamwork, problem solving, technology use, ability to critically evaluate, and ethical
practice.
Our early learning years build the foundation for future
learning by teaching us the basic knowledge and skills needed. Interaction with
others and team work is developed through playtime and sports activities as
well as classroom activities. Most attributes such as communication, teamwork, leadership skills,
problem solving etc become more pronounced as we progress through to higher
education although some institutions seem to place more emphasis on particular attributes than others. An example of this would be how leadership skills are encouraged in the latter years of high school.
Hi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteYou draw from your early learning experiences, and your transition as an adult learner. These experiences are really well contextualized into the learning theory, and have implicit in their description the principles of objectivist and constructivist approaches.
As you added in the concepts of generic attributes and skills, you proceeded to establish a very firm foundation for the next phase of your exploration of learning. This is a very personal reconstruction which has then drawn into your context the theory that is under consideration. I love it.