Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Engagement Activity - Transforming Learning

VoiceThread was used to discuss four levels of technology use for transforming learning based on the SAMR model.

When responding to the stimulus statements I found the distinctions between Augmentation and Modification a bit blurred. There appears to be some overlap as some answers could have slotted into either one, albeit for different reasons. This seems to be reflected too in other readings on the subject. However these two were the levels I found most relevant to my context.

Ruben R. Puentedura, Ph.D.SAMR model

Dominique's suggestion that 'the videoconference can act as a substitute for a classroom lecture but also has functional improvement' with the capability to be viewed synchronously or asynchronously and the ability to' pause, rewind and review the lecture' is on target because this is exactly what I found myself doing with the Elluminate recordings and I found this flexibility to be very beneficial.  I also relate to comments about online dictionaries, wikis and encylopaedias as these are very much in use in my work context for reference work in libraries and also in studies that I have undertaken. I can see an application for a reference wiki to be used to store all our resource links in one place instead of being in several locations on the reference desk computer, eg. the favourites folders, desktop shortcuts and library catalogues or manually filed. New items of topical interest can be added by librarians which would improve the workflow. Many libraries are looking to move to a roving reference model which means reference librarians will be mobile, not at a desk, and will use tablets (wireless access) to access information.  A wiki might suit this model. Wikis and blogs are also in use by libraries and associated working groups for reader's advisory, public library evaluation group and the State Library. 

My 'takeaway' from the activity ironically is that I can see a possible use for VoiceThread in an online book group discussion. I am not sure what the limitations are for this technology but I think it is worth investigating this and other technologies to find the most suitable. They would also be applicable in other situations. It certainly has made me enthusiastic about the technology available.

However as an Elearning student Redefinition is the area I am most interested in as it has many exciting possibilities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment